Kindergarten Post Office

Every February I turn my Home Living center into a class post office to encourage my students to write and read more. Each morning the kids come in & write a letter or postcard to a classmate. (They have to pick a name from a bucket for the first letter of the day to ensure every student gets mail & can then write to anyone they choose when that one is done). When they are finished writing they bring their letter/postcard to me and I have them read it back to me before giving them a "stamp" (flag stickers). This helps emphasis legible writing and making complete sentences. During center time, my postal workers sort the mail by boy/girl and then deliver the mail to individual students' mailboxes.  At the end of the day, we check our mailboxes & read our mail. Again, this encourages children to read their own mail rather than have me read it for them. I also make sure to send them a small piece of mail each day too which they love!

For FREE printables click here! here.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'll post pictures once we get it started!

Michelle said...

Cute idea!


Michelle
Teach123