Block Center Literacy Activity

It's the most wonderful time of the year! I LOVE the last month of school in all of its craziness! The academic pressure is over (if they don't have it now, they won't get it this year) and there are so many fun activities to do. It seems like the days fly by and we get to do some really fun things with our sweeties that we just don't have time for throughout the school year.  This is also the time of year that I begin to reflect on what worked and what didn't work and set goals and plans for things I would like to change or improve for the new school year.  Beware of the following sentence....I am actually excited about the next school year! Please don't throw rocks at me & watch your language!!! Its just that we met our new principal this week and I am excited about some of the changes that I expect we will see. It has been an emotional week with the retirement celebrations for our wonderful principal and then the announcement of the new principal.  Talk about a roller coaster of emotions!

With all of the excitement and craziness I needed a little relaxation therapy by creating new things! I love to escape the real world and get on my laptop and be creative and make new things. I found a little time here and there to squeeze some "therapy" in this week! I get so excited when I find new ideas for my block center so I was thrilled when I found this road graphics set to create new things with! The first thing I made is something I already had but made better with these cute graphics from Scrappin Doodles.
Check it out here! 

                      

Students connect the pieces to make one continuous road. Fill a toy dump truck with magnetic, foam, or other alphabet letter manipulatives. Students then drive the dump truck along the road and "deliver" the letters to the correct beginning sound picture.


I also created this Alphabet Express Activity. I will probably put this in my block center also so the kids can stretch it out on the block center rug. At the beginning of the year they will put in alphabetical order. Later in the year I can use them again because I have the alphabet tubs of miniture objects from Lakeshore Learning so I plan to have my students put the objects on the correct train car according to the beginning sounds. Check those out here!

           

It is past my bedtime now, but stay tuned for
more things to come this weekend!

1 comments:

Kimberly said...

Hi Kelly! I found your blog when I downloaded one of your Promethean lessons on TpT, and I'm so glad I did! I've been teaching a while (in one capacity or another) and will have my own kindergarten classroom next year. I'm so glad I found you! I'm new to Promethean (my old school district used SmartBoard), so perhaps you can offer some tips. I love your products and your blog!
Kimberly :)
creativeteaching-kimberly.blogspot.com